hey y’all! Okay sooo I’m totally staying up late and typing this post in the dark as Ryan sleeps because I know Mardi Gras will be here before we know it! Therefore, I wanted to get this post out to y’all in a decent amount of time! My day was pretty crazy but I made time to do my Mardi Gras dress research!!
Doing all this dress finding made me pretty upset I am not attending a ball this year! Backstory, I actually hate Mardi Gras pahaha! I know that’s totally not a Nola girl thing to say but I’m just being honest! I could think of a billion other things I’d rather do then stand out in the cold getting beads hummed at my face, having drunken people step on my cute shoes, & run into you all to get a crappy pair of beads that they will throw away as soon as they get home. I know, I know, those were pretty harsh words. But I can’t help it!
On a positive note I freaking love king cake + if I have somewhere to stand that has a bathroom or if you give me a ladder to stand on, this is a game changer (enter my inner 5 year old stuffed animal catchin obsessed self). I’d do anything for a stuffed animal back in the day … see the photo below for evidence!
Now on to the dresses, I thought since I’m not participating in any balls why not see what’s out there and help everyone else who is actually going to a ball! You can’t lie, getting all dressed up is half the fun right?! Here’s a few of my favorite picks below! I’m also putting a slider at the end of this post to show y’all some of my secondary picks! I can’t lie, they are all so cute!!
There’s some festive colors in this bunch! Green because of course, Mardi Gras! Some sequins, always necessary for festival season! Cut outs & even some velvet!! Sucker over velvet right now!
I would pair most of these dresses with simple jewelry & a one strap heel! I’m super jealous of everyone’s life who is going to ball and getting dressed up!! Let me know if anyone gets a dress and goes anywhere exciting! I’ll live vicariously through you!!!
Hayyy y’all!! Yay for Sunday funday! Today me and Ry have been laying low! We had breakfast and ran to the grocery to get gumbo we vowed we’d make all week!! It’s simmering on the stove behind me as I write this & so far so good!!! I’m excited because I’ve been wanting to learn how to make a roux!! In other new, ITS FREAKIN FREEZING!!! Therefore the opportune time for Fara to wear beanie has finally presented itself! How cute/funny is this! I couldn’t help but die laughing when I looked at her! Of course she won’t really leave it on but still!! I’m linking a few dog beanie options at the end of this post just incase anyone else would like to torture their dog!!
I also wanted to share this scarf with you guys! It’s super cute & so warm and cozy, very plush & large!!! I love how it’s got a ton of different colors in it as well so it’s versatile when your trying to style it! White, Black, brown, and creams! Would look cute with jeans and a black and white top, or even leather/regulars leggings! Chic Wish | $25
Check out the sliders below for similar scarf options & beanie options for the special dogs in your life pahaha!
Hey y’all! It’s Friday! TGIF for the rest of you! I personally am stuck working till tomorrow haha! Life of a hairdresser!
I really have no point in this post other then to share the boots in this picture with you guys because they are SOOOOO FREAKIN CUTE! Winter boots are so expensive so these were a plus because they were under $40, they are different and perfect for walking around in the snowy sidewalks of wherever your visiting that isn’t in the south! Casual but cute! LOVE the fur detail & how they lace up the sides!!
We are visiting the slopes this year, Boston, & New York, allllll while it will be freezing! I have been majorly stocking up on my cold weather wear! I’m loving chenille this year, obviously, haha I’m sure you guys have noticed! The scarf in this picture is such a cute color and would match black, white, gray & even the right shade of brown, so it’s pretty versatile!! I also love the these teddy bear type clothes that are in this winter! I don’t think that’s what they should technically be called but that’s what I call it 😂 they are so warm and cozy! Obsessed!!!!!
I’m linking all the goodies in the picture below and the slider will have a few different options for y’all at the end of the post!!
Happy Wednesday to all my blog peopleee!! Today I’m sharing with you guys something I consistently share with my clients & ive wanted to do a blog post on it for a while!!
Tons of people sit in my chair and ask me about hair vitamins, biotin, any pills I may know of that work! In my experience with hair pills I never really saw a difference in my hair. I even had a biotin once that I bought from Walgreens that said on the back to “take a hour apart from an oral contraceptive” … That went out the window because I’m like what?! Us chicks can barely remember to take that at the same time everyday without setting an alarm on our phone – I definitely can’t remember to take that a hour apart! Another one made me breakout like CRAZY, my friend holly who works in the skin clinic at H2O (whose amazing by the way if anyone needs a facial 😜) did dermaplaning on me and I kept being like omg never again that made me break out & she was like I’ve never had anyone say that it’s not that, blah blah blah! I was like yea yea whateverrr, well she came and slept over one night and when she walked in my bathroom to brush her teeth she was like when did you start taking this biotin? “Oh right around the time you did my face” she’s like helllllooooo this is why your breaking out! Stopped taking it and I was all good!!
Anyway, to sum up a long lengthy summary of all the hair pills I’ve tried in the past, NO, none of them ever made me see a difference in my hair!
Leading me to this point, for about 2 years I had constantly seen these “Sugar Bear Hair” gummies. Tons of celebs/reality tv people/insta famous people endorsed them so naturally I was like this stuff is bologna because they are clearly paying all these people to post. Now while that’s obviously the case, something stilllll told me in the back of my head to try them (probably because Kylie was posting about them, #suckermein). Not to mention they look really cute and yummy. Of course we all know how this ends, of COURSE, I did indeed buy them.
When they got to the house of course I immediately tried one because, duh, they are gummies. DELICIOUS. I put them on the counter in my bathroom next to my toothbrush & actually religiously took them everyday. When I was about three quarters done the bottle I was like whatever I’m not seeing anything different with my hair. I’ll finish them out but I’m not reordering. But then I thought about it and I was like that’s not fair. I mean really how is anything supposed to change your hair in a few weeks of taking it, or even a month? If so that would be a miracle pill and we’d all be taking it.
Think about it, nothing is done that quick when it comes to a change in your body. Why would your hair magically start growing like weeds that quick?! I decided I would buy another bottle. I told myself I was going to give it 2 – 3 months without shutting it down. I ordered the second bottle before I was done and again continued to religiously take it. Twice a day every morning!
Half way through the 2nd bottle & that was it. People at work started telling me my hair looked more heathy and shiny. They started mentioning (and I started realizing) that my shorter pieces on top of be crown of my head (a common breakage spot for blondes) was starting to get significantly longer, making the distance between that and the ends of my hair closer, I.E. not looking like joe dirt in the back. Now, getting compliments from hairdressers in the salon, that’s big 😂 we all are so hard on each other and when your in the hair business you don’t sugar coat it to each other, girl your hairs fried. The end. Panana and no one cares because we’re all putting extensions in our hair like white on rice! It’s just hair it can be fixed, or be faked to look fixed!
Bottom line, I finished the second bottle and ordered another. My hair had really started to look good. It was growing and was definitely getting the vitamins it needed because it was very shiny and soft. In the midst of moving I had ran out and forgot to order, it slipped my mind for about 4 months. I’m kinda one of those, even if I loose 5 pounds like don’t tell me because I’ll be like danggg I’m looking good I can eat this pasta. All down hill from there. Same with the pills, it’s like you get it in your head that your good so you slack off.
I am now starting my second bottle of pills again! And I can tell my extensions are growing out a little faster. A downside, but still a upside because it’s making my hair better.
I also have recommended these to a few clients, okay more like kind of rave about them. Of course some I can tell are probably like whatever girl, but I really have no benefit of telling my clients about them. It’s not like we sell them at the salon and I make a commission (which would actually be awesome because maybe I’d sell some product for once 😜). With all that said I’ve actually had a good bit of clients try them out text me and say they love them and that they see a difference in their hair. One had even came in and said her experience was the same. On her second bottle she and her daughters saw a difference!
They are a tad on the pricey side but I’d say if your wanting to try them out I’d create a time line for yourself. If your on your 2nd or 3rd and don’t see a difference don’t waste your time/money! Of course everyone’s hair is different, what works for me might not work for you! But, if your someone who is really trying to grow your hair or improve it’s integrity anything’s worth a try to get you where you want to be!
You can grab a bottle here with free shipping. I normally order mine on amazon here because I have prime and it’s quicker to get to me plus ends up being cheaper than their website. The amazon link is to a 3 months supply but that’s what I want so! Of course you can also go on their website and get one months supply or a subscription or whatever, click here and it’ll take ya there!
If y’all have ANY questions, comment below or on insta or whatever haha! If it’s something I can answer I definitely will!
Happy Monday people! How was everyone’s weekend?! Mine was pretty laid back, which is exactly what I was going for after all the holidays!
Friday me, Ry & Hayd went to see Jumanji, (probably about once a month me and Ryan pick a old movie from when we were little and make Hayd watch it 😂 sometimes at first you can tell he’s like wtff “this looks so fake” aka gremlins, but by the middle of most off the movies he is hooked! Point being he’s seen the first Jumanji & loved it) it was SOOOO cute! I was thinking when we sat down that there was no way it would be half as great as the first! Nothing beats Robin Williams of course, but it was definitely a good one! Saturday we stayed in & cooked on the new stove and then Sunday I had brunch with my little brother & parents before Seth hopped on a plane to head back to Boston!
Today we’re heading to Mississippi to meet with Ryan’s architect about building the camp! Which is pretty exciting! But on the ride over I figured why not blog about ruffley sweaters?! Duh!
How cute is this sweater?! & different then the norm! I got a ton of compliments on it! I love the bottom how it comes out a little. That is always flattering!! I paired this with jeans and OTK boots but also think it would look really cute with a pair of mules for a more casual look!
The exact one pictured is sold out in regular sizes, but they do have petite sizes! Sometimes when I run into an issue like this where I LOVE/GOTTA HAVE a shirt and it’s petite left I will just get the petite but in a size UP then what I would normally get. Most of the time petite is only smaller length wise, making the shirt shorter from top to bottom and in the sleeves! So if you size up your good!
Since this one was sold out I am also linking a few other ruffled sweaters that I thought were super cute! All tagged below 🙂
Okay! Doing a quick post this morning! I came across the fact that these were restocked last night and knew y’all would want to know because the first time I posted them I got a huge response from everyone that loved them! Sharing them with you guys again, all sizes restocked & even more color choices!! ALL UNDER $15, can’t beatttttt thatttt!!
I am LOVING the green and purple for Mardi Gras and the gray color is super cute & different! I normally wear a medium & ordered a medium, they fit great! True to size for the win with these picks! The links below the pictures will bring you directly to the page!
I love all of these options because they can be worn to work out, with casual outfits, tucked into boots when it’s colder or even worn with like a cute sneaker for parades or a day of running around!!!
Happy Thursday people! I think I’m finally getting back in the swing of things after a few days off from the holidays! That’s not to say it hasn’t been hard getting out of bed the past few mornings haha! This extra cold weather makes you want to stay all snuggled up in bed! Or is it just me being lazy?!
With all this cold weather comes every opportunity to break out all the warm and cozy stuff! Enter – over the knee boots! I actually went a little crazy on Black Friday and ended up buying tons of boots that I have been waiting to share with you guys!! I’ve wanted to get with a photographer and take some outfit shots but with my face still healing and the holidays it’s been hard, so I’m like screw it! Here’s a mirror selfie! According to the feedback I get from you guys you could care less what the picture looks like as long as there’s some beneficial outfit tagging lol! Works for me!
I love over the knee boots! They not only look fab but it’s a extra layer on your leg to keep you warm! That’s a win, win! My only frustration with them is the ones that don’t stay up! I was very into ordering these boots and testing their stay up power for you guys lol I got really frustrated last year (or the year before, I can’t remember) when a ton of bloggers and boutiques were making such a big deal out of the Chinese laundry OTK boots. I got them in THREE colors and they DO NOT stay up! They bunch up the second I walk two steps and I look like I’m wearing boots from my junior year in high school! I’m here to be real about the clothes and the fit and had someone actually filled me on that I maybe would have gone for my gotta have it color and not went crazy buying three. Because they are super cute!!! I can’t lie, I still wear them and pull them up after every two steps! And, of course everyone has a different thigh and leg, so maybe that isn’t the case for everyone. But, I’m just saying. I find they slip!
So, with all that being said. I’ve done my homework and am sharing my ABSOLUTE faves with you guys + some I have my eye on! Let’s get right into it ….
This pair right here. I CAN NOT. My all time FAVORITE over the knee. HANDS DOWN! Can you tell I’m passionate about this? lol I am so serious! They stay up! They don’t bunch! They hit at the perfect spot!! They are 100% worth $99 any day of the week! Even the reviews can vouch for it! They are not heeled but I kinda like that because I can wear them for more casual looks. And to be honest, they are pretty high up on the thigh so a heel could make them look skanky! Just saying!
Love all these colors! These are on sale right now! 50% off on Nordstrom! I love how these are the same fabric everywhere! The heel isn’t wood so it’s not making your eye focus on a different detail! They also don’t have a tie meaning they will stay up on their own!
Do not have. HEAVILY have my eye on. I LOVE THIS COLOR. I actually kinda need this color because I don’t have. They look like they would stay up because they don’t have a tie. Those types tend to have a more of an elastic-y top which = no to little slip.
Including these since they are what’s in the picture. Ya know how I feel about them CLEARLY. However, I still torture myself and wear them because they are really cute. Whatever lol!
Linking a bunch of cute other OTK boots in the slider below! I am also linking some sweaters like the one pictured!
I love to pair OTK boots with some CLASSIC black leggings and a big ol’ comfy sweater! Although it may make you look like your 300 pounds! It is soooo warm and comfy (this is also a great combo for going to grab dinner because it’s an all you can eat outfit 😂 y’all know it’s so true!). Of course OTK always looks great with jeans and sweater, a cute skirt, and even the right type of dress/sweater dress! I tend to go for a more loose fitting dress if that’s the case because a tight dress + OTK = Julia Roberts on the corner in Pretty Woman. Of course that is always a classic, but only on Halloween!
If y’all have ANY questions about any that I’ve purchased let me know! And if y’all get any y’all have to let me know too!
– BOOT OPTIONS –
– SWEATER OPTIONS –
P.S. – I tend to size up with any type of boot, because, SOCKS!
Wow I can’t believe today marks the start of 2018! I feel like the past year flew by! 2017 was definitely a good one for me – my clientele grew, my blog grew (and I interned for it to continue to grow with fingers crossed), I got to travel to a lot of places with a bunch of my favorite people, I rented my house out and moved in with Ry & Hayd, which has been a great thing. Overall I like to think I did some growing as a person in all kinds of different ways! It’s been a good one!
But with every end of the year there’s always reflections on what we’d like to change, or maybe grow more in, goals we’d like to accomplish for the upcoming year! Our 2018 New Years resolutions!
I’m getting a little personal with you guys in this post and sharing my New Years resolutions on the blog! There’s nothing super juicy here, I like to think most are just kinda typical. I know I enjoy reading other people’s goals sometimes because it can remind you to reach for more yourself or think of certain things that maybe don’t even cross your mind! I also want to share with you guys some of the steps I take each day to make for a smooth running day and accomplish my goals! So, here it goes … resolutions first, then tips after!
• time management – I’ve got a lot going on right now. My schedule had took on a big change moving in with the boys because it wasn’t ALL about MY schedule anymore. Of course this was a good change lol but I have to admit it has taken some time to get into the swing of things. I want to leave work a tad earlier because I want to be able to sit down and have dinner with them. I also want to make time for my clients, myself, blogging, & the gym. This year I really want to set aside 2 of my days off out of every month to be days for myself with no hair being done. I want to take certain times out of the day for the gym and blogging without taking time away from the people around me or feeling overwhelmed and rushed.
• career – I really want to grow my clientele this year. I want to grow it with clients that have positive vibes, I want to grow it with people who are friends and family of clients I already know and love, clients who are excited about hair, fashion & beauty! I love clients that sit in my chair that I can have fun with & feed off of! My job is great because working with people all day opens your mind to tons of different things! Clients like that is what makes an amazing work day, and I’m all about that this year! Send them my way! I’m also including blogging in this category because ultimately I want this to become a part of my career! I want to set a goal for myself of posting at least 4 – 5 days a week and to get more creative/ comfortable in front of the camera!
• relationships – I want to make more time for the people I love. When you get older I feel like you get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life. I’m going to make it a point this year to make PEOPLE more important because at the end of the day that’s whose there, not things! Hopefully implementing my new “time management” skills will play a part in this haha!
• be more mindful – I want to be more aware this year. Focus more on the present, or be more in the moment. I’ve always tended to be one who totally planning the what’s next from what I’m a doing next year, to what’s my first client going to want in the morning. While that is a positive thing in many ways, it also can tend to be a double edge sword because it takes focus away from the “now”.
• more mindful with others – I want to set a goal for myself with doing one selfless thing for someone else a few times a week. I haven’t worked out the kinks of this goal yet but I’m brain storming. More along the lines of that whole random acts of kindness thing. My friends always impress me because they will stop by the salon and bring me my favorite treat or something like that! I’m always like damn, I never THINK to do stuff like that! Okay I can’t say never, but I feel like my mind is always 100 miles a minute so it’s not something I am consistent with! I am blessed to have such great and thoughtful people in my life and I want to show them more this year how appreciate I am for it!
• fitness – okay, this is your totally cliche New Years resolution. Come Wednesday it’s on (Tuesday I’m off work and grabbing drinks and lunch with work peeps). Anyway, I’ll be 100% honest with you guys. Since I’ve moved into Ryan’s I’ve gained about 5 pounds. People hear me say that and are like ohhh okay like that’s a big deal. But, it is to me! It’s 5 pounds closer to where I don’t want to be. And 5 pounds gone of wiggle room haha! It boils down to the fact that I am eating more, when I lived alone I didn’t love to mess up my kitchen for just me. Me and Ryan made it a tradition for my to cook us dinner every Tuesday and really on the Wednesday and Thursday nights Ryan had Hayden I made it a point to schedule extensions and things like that because it kept those two days for just them. Then of course I’d crash the boy party on the weekends and we’d eat whatever! But, I was probably drinking a protein shake for dinner 3 – 4 times a week when it boiled down to it. Now, I am eating dinner every night lol which is of course more normal and realistic than protein shakes, but that explains the 5 pounds! I want to get back in the gym consistently (with a positive attitude, not dreading it the whole time) & me and Ryan agreed as a whole that we want to cook more and eat out less!
• be on my phone less – I haven’t quite figured out what steps I will take to achieve this. Especially since blogging means your on your phone A LOT more. I assume this will fit in with my “time management goal”. I don’t know, all I know is I want this thing attached to my hip less!
• more consistent with skin care – about two months ago I got a call saying I had basal cell skin cancer in a spot super close to my eye. I had mohs surgery soon after and they were able to get it all out the first time with the margins clear thank the lordddd above. I’m still working on excepting the fact that I’ll have this dumb scar by my eye but I’ve accepted that obviously that’s better then having a worse type of skin cancer and I’m lucky that it was something that could be cut out! With that being said it kinda made me realize how important it is to treat our skin right! I never wore sunscreen under my make up but since I have been religiously. I also started taking heliocare pills which protect from the sun. The other thing that I realized when I had the surgery done is like for the past two months I haven’t been able to use certain things on my face. As soon as this sucker starts to heal more I want to do more facials, be more consistent with my skin care regimen & use more preventative products to help with sun damage and aging!
So, that about sums up most of my goals! Of course I always want to be working on being my best version of me but I think the start of a new year is always a great time to reflect and regroup + start fresh! Clean slate!
Now, on to the few ways I work towards accomplishing my goals! I have just a few quick tips of mine that I find help!
• PURCHASE A PLANNER – this is so major in my life! I’m a write it down kinda girl! I write everything in my planner! Down to “wash hair tonight” pahaha! It may be silly but checking things off your list makes you feel accomplished and you’ll want to accomplish more! Plus this is an awesome way to make your everyday life feel very organized! HERE is the planner I purchased this year, it’s by sugar paper Los Angeles! I have to have a monthly and weekly view with lots of space daily to write things down. I love it and couldn’t wait to crack it open!
• BE REALISTIC/TAKE BABY STEPS- if you have a crazy big goal that can feel overwhelming! Instead, think of ways to get there and set those things as goals! Maybe you want to cut carbs completely out of your diet, instead of going cold turkey say okay, this week I am only going to have carbs 3 days this week. Then the next add 4, then 5, etc. that way your feeling accomplished while working towards the main challenge!
• GET EXCITED – tell people about your goals, this makes you more accountable for completing them! if your goal is to be more into working out, treat yourself to new gym clothes, maybe some new headphones!
• WRITE YOUR GOALS DOWN/CREATE A VISION BOARD – write your goals down on paper. Writing them makes it feel more official and you can even write down some ways or things you think would help accomplish them! Or, make a dream board! EVERY YEAR, for like the past 10 years, my family sits around a few days after the new year and makes a dream board. We go through tons of magazines and cut things out and glue them to a board. See my post last year HERE for the full details if you’d like to start a tradition like this too!! After you write your list or make your dream board place it somewhere that your will see it often! I normally place my dream board in my closet. That way I am reminded of my goals and dreams for the year every morning when I get dressed!
& that’s that! If you guys have any great tips for accomplishing your goals fill a sista in! Here’s a better look at my planner below!!
I hope everyone had a fabulous New Years Eve and that were all ready to take on 2018!!
Happy Saturday y’all! Howww freakin’ freezing is it!? We have a wedding to go to tonight and I am seriously considering packing leggings in my purse for the 2 block walk from the church to the reception pahaha!
Actually its so freezing that taking this picture of my sweater was pretty funny. Me & Ryan ran onto the front porch, he’d snap a few, and we’d run back inside to check if we liked them before running out to take a few more 😂 I love the man for putting up with my shenanigans! Although, he did buy me this really cool robot picture taking thingy with a remote today … I wonder if he’s trying to tell me something lol!
anyway, back to the sweater – who doesn’t love anything open back?! Open backs always fun because it can be a little sexy without being too much! It just gives your outfit a different vibe and isn’t something you always find so it’s fun to switch it up! This year I’ve been seeing a lot of the twisted back sweaters and I really love them! I’ve even seen them worn both in the front and back so that’s a win when you can get different uses/looks out of the same thing!
I got this exact one pictured from a online boutique in Texas last winter but I’ve done some looking and picked out a few open back looks that I thought you guys would like! Scroll down to see em’ – some have twists, some have braids, some have ties, bows, and splits! Either way they are all super cute & different!
So, I have to toot my own horn and say I am pretty known for making awesome chocolate chip cookies! while I definitely bask in that glory – I wanted to step up my cookie game and try out some new things! who doesn’t love a good oatmeal cookie when they are done right? I’m talking the soft, chewy kind that have just the right amount of everything! yum!
I also always feel like oatmeal cookies remind me of the holidays so that’s why I worked on this recipe and got the kinks out just in time to share them with you guys! of course, oatmeal cookies have a tad more steps than your normal cookie baking but they are worth it! I did a batch with raisins + chocolate chips & a batch just plain chocolate chips, no raisins & enjoyed them both but I think my winner was just chocolate chips lol or maybe just half the raisins!
Listing all your ingredients down below! This is for a batch with both chocolate chips & raisins, obviously if you want to do one or the other omit whichever you don’t want! Add extra of the thing you do want! Baking doesn’t have to be hard! Make it your own 🙂 Also, this recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies, if you double it, double everything just as shown!
• 2 sticks of butter
• 1 cup light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Save for later & optional
• 5 tbsp cinnamon sugar
Time to get baking, here are the steps…
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Mix sugars and butter together with a mixer until they reach a creamy texture.
Add eggs + vanilla and mix in.
Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. At this point I stop using a mixer and use a spoon.
Add oats, raisins & chocolate chips. Keep folding them in till they are all mixed in with the dough.
Chill dough. You can either do this for 45 mins or for a few hours if you have the extra time. A few hours makes for a chewier cookie.
Take tablespoons full of dough and round them out, or use a cookie scooper, and place them spread out in uniform order onto parchment paper or a silpat mat. (I never use foil or a greased cookie sheet. I don’t love how this makes things bake. One you use parchment paper or a silpat mat you’ll understand).
Bake cookies for 10 – 12 minutes or until they are goldenish brown.
Optional – after cookies are taken from oven sprinkle cinnamon sugar you had set aside on top.
Transfer cookies to a plate or place them on a wire rack to cool.
Let me know if you guys have any questions & if you make them let me know whatcha think!
Heres to hoping these cookies keep ya warm! Happy baking!